Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Girls in the Helmets.

What up loved ones?!

Yet another week of missionary has flown by. I can't believe I've only been in Rhode Island for a week and a half! It feels like I've been here for ages. In a good way. But so much has happened! We have so much work to do we can't even cram it all into our schedules. We have to schedule things like 2 weeks in advance. #sopopular. I feel super blessed to be a missionary here in Scituate. 

... And also I feel super exhausted. Sister Bailey and I have had multiple delusional laughing fits this week - it's the best way to deal with stress and exhaustion. I think it might have something to do with the fact that we started riding BIKES. Hahaha, it's a hoot. Two teenage girls in skirts riding all over the New England hills. In helmets. With a basket full of scriptures. We look so adorable that some people have felt the need to yell encouraging phrases out their windows to us, such as, "Nice helmets!" and "Lose the skirts!" They're just jealous that we pull it off so well. I did have to invest in a seat cushion, because I soon discovered that bike seats are like the opposite of comfortable. 

This week I had the realization that a lot of people think missionary work is really easy. They're just like, "Call this person. Go over there. Knock on the door. Baptize them. It's not that difficult." And we're like, "Uh, what do you think we've been doing?!" Basically all the answers with missionary work are simple, but rarely are they easy. Does that make sense?

But oh man, when things work out, it's amazing. This week we had so many people tell us that right before we appeared in their lives, they had prayed to God for a change or a light or a new path. And then when we show up, they're all nervous to tell us this like we are going to think they are insane. If only they knew that it's kind of our norm. Isn't that crazy? Miracles and signs are my norm these days. I love being a missionary.

This next week will be a week of land mark dates - 20 years old and my 5 month mark! Yuck. Time. Ick. These may be the last words I type as a teenager. #soancient. All I would ask for my birthday is for everyone to find an opportunity to share the gospel this Thursday. That's right, challenge thrown down. I expect reports of you all being a sign from God in someone's life next week. 

I LOVE YOU ALL!
Sister Gledhill

No comments:

Post a Comment