Monday, May 19, 2014

The Big One.‏

Wowee, this week marks my big one. That's right boys and girls, this Thursday I hit my year mark. 
AHHHHHHHHHH!
I don't know how it happened! I came on my mission, and now suddenly it's been a year! It's like those times when you don't set an alarm and you wake up and realize it's 5:00 in the afternoon and you've missed an entire day. Except, I wasn't asleep. I was awake. And working. AND IT STILL WENT BY SO FAST! But, 6 months is still a long time to go, you know. So nobody get too upset. You still have half a year of Sister-Gledhill-free life. And 6 more months of missionary bliss for me!

In honor of this momentous missionary event, I thought I would share a list of things we learn as missionaries from Sister Packard. It's amazing that my personal capacity and understanding in every single one of these areas has ridiculously changed since coming on my mission. I think a couple years ago, I would have told you that I was scared to change on my mission. I didn't want to be the awkward RM who's a totally new person after 18 months. But the truth is, any change that comes from representing Jesus Christ for 2 years, and desperately trying to do what He would do, and say what He would say - that is good change! 

We learn ...
> To work hard
> How to manage our time
> How to study the scriptures and apply them to our lives and our challenges
> To be obedient
> How to speak in public
> How to really pray
> The power of fasting
> How to live our lives according to the Spirit
> To notice the hand of the Lord in EVERYTHING
> To see people for who they are and who they can become
> Not to compare yourself to others
> To be flexible
> How to deal with frustration and how to bounce back
> How much we can accomplish with sheer commitment
> How to be amazing member missionaries
> How the church is organized and how it works
> How to work with Priesthood holders
> How to do family history
> To appreciate and love the temple
> The importance of family
> To live with someone 24/7 and appreciate our differences
> How to love.
> To live an unselfish life
> The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and how to apply the Atonement in our lives.

It's like Moroni says in the Book of Mormon: "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure." (Moroni 7:48)

When we strive to become true followers of Christ, something happens to us. We become like Him. And obviously I have a long, long, loooooooong way to go. But I do know that serving my mission has changed me for the good so far. Here is to 6 more months of growth and service!

I love you guys and hope you have an amazing week! 
xoxo,
Sister Gledhill. The Missionary Veteran.

p.s. Elder Holland is coming to speak to us on Friday, so if we all get translated and taken up to Heaven ... see you when you get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment